Benefits of Reading Aloud Together
Reading aloud is an activity that many families enjoy and include as part of family routines. The benefits extend beyond having fun together and are summarized in our Let’s Read Together! backgrounder.
To learn more about why reading aloud as a family matters, read:
- 13 Things Babies Learn When We Read with Them – NAEYC
- Kids & Family Reading Report: The Rise of Read-Aloud – Scholastic
- Research shows the importance of parents reading with children – even after children can read – The Conversation
- The Miraculous Power of Reading Aloud – Screen-Free Week
- Why Reading Aloud to Kids Helps Them Thrive – from PBS parents
Family Literacy Week is later this month and the theme is “Let’s Read Together!” It celebrates an activity that helps family members connect with each other, discover new things and enjoy reading.
Related Blog Posts
Children often have favourite stories they can listen to again and again (and again!). And while adults might grow tired of the repetition, there are good reasons for reading stories …
Reading bedtime stories is a cozy way to end to a child’s day. In addition to all the other benefits of reading aloud, reading stories at bedtime helps establish a …
Newly released, the MindShift Guide to Understanding Dyslexia is designed to be an introduction to dyslexia. It describes: How to recognize dyslexia in children, including multilingual English Language Learners Teaching …