Commonly Confused Words
Wondering which of two words to use? You might be working with commonly confused words.
Some words are easily confused with one another because they are:
- Similar in spelling (e.g. personal and personnel)
- Similar in pronunciation (e.g. affect and effect)
- Homophones (identical pronunciation but different meanings, e.g. their, they’re and there)
This infographic describes some commonly confused words.
Find out more about commonly confused words in:
- 20 Commonly Confused Word Pairs
- Frequently confused words
- A List of Commonly Confused Words
- A Look At Some Commonly Confused Words
- Top 20 Most Commonly Confused Homophones
- Top 30 Commonly Confused Words in English
Test your knowledge
Related Blog Posts
Project Literacy Central Okanagan Society highlights the hard work of tutor Jean Lee and celebrates the successes of Kevin, a dedicated learner.
Writing frames are an evidence-based strategy that helps learners get their ideas down on paper.
Decode and create meaning in the digital era with multimodal literacy — embracing words, images and more.