Commonly Confused Words
Wondering which of two words to use? You might be working with commonly confused words.
Some words are easily confused with one another because they are:
- Similar in spelling (e.g. personal and personnel)
- Similar in pronunciation (e.g. affect and effect)
- Homophones (identical pronunciation but different meanings, e.g. their, they’re and there)
This infographic describes some commonly confused words.
Find out more about commonly confused words in:
- 20 Commonly Confused Word Pairs
- Frequently confused words
- A List of Commonly Confused Words
- A Look At Some Commonly Confused Words
- Top 20 Most Commonly Confused Homophones
- Top 30 Commonly Confused Words in English
Test your knowledge
Related Blog Posts
Teaching spelling is an important part of any literacy program.
When there’s more than one adjective before a noun, which one comes first? Do you know why?
What is the difference between a reading strategy and a reading skill?