Family Influence on Physical Activity
Did you know that less than 1 in 5 Canadian children and youth (ages 5 – 17) meet all three recommended Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for Children and Youth? This is one of the key findings of The Role of the Family in the Physical Activity, Sedentary and Sleep Behaviours of Children and Youth: The 2020 ParticipACTION Report Card on Physical Activity of Children and Youth.
And, this was before COVID-19. Since COVID-19, children and youth have had lower physical activity levels, less outside time, and more sedentary behaviour.
The ParticipACTION report also points out that family plays a key role in promoting children’s healthy movement behaviours. ParticipACTION offers the following tips to parents:
- Be a good role model by being physically active and co-participating.
- Carve out time at the beginning of each week to make physical activity a family priority.
- Choose activities that are fun and enjoyable for the whole family. Take turns choosing activities.
- Encourage more outdoor time and active transportation.
Find more tips in 10 ways raising a physically literate child is like raising a reader.
Looking for ideas for activities? Take a look at:
- 15 ways to keep kids active indoors (even if you don’t have much space)
- A printable recipe for an active day (at home)
- HOP family resource
- No gym? No park? No problem! Introducing our physical activity resource guide
- Outdoor Play During COVID-19
Additional guidance, resources and training for early years and family literacy practitioners on physical activity and healthy eating for children are available through Appetite to Play. There’s a lot to explore on that website.
Remember to follow the public health guidelines in your area to stay safe while you stay active.
Related Blog Posts
In honour of Pride Month, here are some recommendations for books with LGBTQ content, written for children and teens. 17 Books About Gender Non-conforming and Transgender Kids – NoTime for …
Today is International Children’s Book Day! How will you celebrate? Reading old favourites is never wrong. But, something new can be a treat. There are new opportunities to try this …
STEM activities can be fun any time, but some are particularly suited to cold weather. Here are six places to find ideas for winter STEM activities, indoors and out: 10 …