Learning Disabilities Awareness Month 2021
October is Learning Disabilities Awareness Month! This month is a special time where we discuss, consider and inform others about children and adults with learning differences.
What does the average person know about learning disabilities?
There are a variety of learning disabilities that can include:
Students with learning disabilities often have trouble with reading and writing. Without support, this can negatively affect the development of their literacy skills, progression through school and post-secondary and job prospects as adults. With good strategies and techniques, literacy educators can help learners feel confident and empowered.
For more information about supporting people with learning disabilities, check out the information and resources at the these websites:
- Children: Reading Rockets: Learning Disabilities and Dyslexia Awareness Month
- Children: Dyslexia Canada’s Mark it Read campaign
- Children: LD@School’s Learning Disabilities Awareness Month toolkit
- Children and adults: Learning Disabilities Association of British Columbia (LDABC)
- Children and adults: Learning Disabilities and ADHD Network (Calgary specific, but many useful resources)
- Addressing learning disabilities with the medicine wheel
- How to Design and Host Community Conversations about Learning Disabilities
- Learning disabilities: simple assessment and proven teaching techniques
- Self-advocacy for People with Learning Disabilities: A Guide for Adult Literacy Educators
- Snakes and Ladders for Learning: Learning Disabilities Edition
- Time for a Change: Learning Disabilities or Abilities?
- What is Learning Like for ME?: a Community Approach to Learning Disabilities
Helpful Blog Posts
Related Blog Posts
Join us every Friday in July and August and learn about the Decoda staff’s summer reading picks.
Yesterday the BC Government announced BC’s Restart Plan. Find information on what that can mean to you and your work in: BC’s Restart Plan BC COVID-19 Go-Forward Management Strategy BC …
Learn about how good board governance is key to a nonprofit’s success.