Managing Conflict at Work
We’ve all had to deal with conflict at some point in our work lives. Perhaps you’ve had to work with a difficult person or you’ve experienced communication break downs. The pandemic has heightened stress and anxiety. Working remotely makes conflict resolution even trickier. However, conflict is a normal and natural part of human interactions. If you would like some tools to help deal with conflict in the workplace, or you have an adult learner experiencing conflict at work, we have gathered some excellent resources to help you.
Workplace conflict has a variety of causes. Here are just a few reasons conflict can arise:
- poor communication
- personality clashes
- different work styles
- resistance to change
- poor work habits
The key to solving almost all conflict is good communication. The resources below will help both you, and learners you may be tutoring, handle conflict more constructively.
- Do-It-Yourself Conflict Resolution (webinar)
- Managing Conflict at Work
- Remote Work Conflict: An In-Depth Guide for Resolving Issues
- Resolving Workplace Conflict – Part of the Job Success tutorial
- We Can Work It Out: Managing Workplace Disputes
- The art and science of dealing with difficult people
- From conflict to conciliation : how to defuse difficult situations
- Dealing with difficult people : 24 lessons for bringing out the best in everyone
- The resilient teacher : how do I stay positive and effective when dealing with difficult people and policies?
- Thanks for the feedback : the science and art of receiving feedback well (even when it is off base, unfair, poorly delivered, and frankly, you’re not in the mood)
- The conflict and communication activity book : 30 high-impact training exercises for adult learners
- Dealing with conflict : workbook
- Making it work : a workbook on conflict and communication for adult literacy learners
- Play nice & stay employed! : workplace relationships & conflict negotiations
Related Blog Posts
All employers in BC are required to develop a COVID-19 Safety Plan with policies, guidelines, and procedures to reduce the risk of coronavirus transmission. WorkSafeBC has developed a COVID-19 Safety …
Happy International Week of Happiness at Work! Attend events, browse resources and read tips to inspire happiness at work.
Alberta Workforce Essential Skills (AWES) has developed a new workbook on workplace essential skills. Written at CLB 1-2, it is designed to develop language skills, intercultural communication skills, and workplace …