Mindfulness for Children
Mindfulness means paying attention and noticing our thoughts, feelings, physical sensations, behaviours and surrounding environment in the present. This awareness is without judgement – without believing there’s a right or wrong way to think or feel in a given moment. It is helpful for children as well as adults.
Benefits of mindfulness
Mindfulness is used to reduce stress and calm anxiety. Besides helping with regulating emotions, it can improve memory, focus and decision making. There are physical benefits, too. Learn about these benefits and more in:
- 11 Proven Benefits of Mindfulness
- Five Ways Mindfulness Meditation Is Good for Your Health
- Mindfulness: Why Practice It?
Four Easy Mindfulness Activities for Kids
While mindfulness is often associated with meditation, it is not the same. There are informal activities that bring attention to the present and promote mindfulness. Here’s a sample:
- Finger Breathing
Find other breathing activities in Deep Breathing Exercises for kids!
- Mindful Walking
Silent walking isn’t the only way of introducing mindfulness to walking. Find other ways in 6 Ways to Engage Kids and Teens in Mindful Walking.
- 5-4-3-2-1 Grounding
Grounding exercises are designed to connect you to what is happening to you physically in the moment. They can help manage overwhelming feelings or anxiety. Find more in 10 Grounding Exercises for Kids.
- Glitter Jars
There’s more than one way to make a glitter jar. Find other recipes in 6 Ways to Make a Calm Down Jar.
Find more mindfulness activities for all ages in Mindfulness for Stress Relief.
Over the last few years books have been published introducing children to mindfulness. Find some titles in:
- 7 Children’s Books with Mindfulness Messages – mindful
- 18 Books to Inspire Mindfulness & Meditation for the Whole Family |Summer Reading 2021 – School Library Journal
- 23 Children’s Books on Mindfulness and Meditation – Children’s Library Lady
- DEEP BREATHS! Mindfulness Books for Kids to Help Them Stay Calm & Present! – Happily Ever Elephants
- Mindfulness Resources for Children – Parentbooks
Related Blog Posts
It’s important to keep children’s bodies and minds active while families are staying home. The Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for Children and Youth (ages 5-17 years) recommend a balance …
Did you know that you can teach coding skills to young children without a computer? It can be fun!
Can play be a method for learning? Learn about the benefits of guided play.