Online Resources for Tutors
How can we provide resources to volunteer tutors while practising social distancing? Today we’d like to highlight a few online resources.
- A Frontier College Tutor’s Guide: Working with Adults
- Creating Learning Partners: A Facilitator’s Guide to Tutor Training (accompanying handouts)
- ESLSAP Tutor Companion and accompanying training, including videos
- Proliteracy’s Basic Literacy and ESL Tutor Training – free for members, fee for others
- Tutor Ready – a self-paced online tutor training program (need to create an account)
Adult Literacy Activities and Workbooks
- Grass Roots Press – Online sample units for each workbook in the Spelling Toolbox, Vocabulary Boosters and The Active Reader series; also a very helpful concise guide to Working with Beginning Readers
- Journey to Literacy – Free online review booklets with new readings for this workbook series
- Reading Skills for Today’s Adults – variety of levelled readings with exercises
- The Westcoast Reader– This year’s digital editions are free until further notice. Find accompanying teacher’s notes and additional articles with exercises on the website.
- UP Skills for Work – a series of soft skills for work workbooks
- ESL Literacy Network – including the ESL Literacy Readers
- ESL Video
- Janis’s ESL Links
- Randall’s ESL Cyber Listening Lab
- VESL Tutor Tips
This is just a sample; there are many more online resources for tutors. While the Decoda Library isn’t mailing books at the moment, we can help connect you to online resources. For more suggestions for all kinds of resources, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This week is National Volunteer Week! Thanks to all the volunteers who support literacy programs and organizations throughout BC, including the volunteer literacy tutors who provide direct support to adult literacy students!
Related Blog Posts
The First Peoples Principles of Learning are an expression of the shared wisdom of Elders and educators within British Columbia’s First Peoples communities. First identified in relation to the English …
Learn about HyperDocs, a useful tool for remote and in-person learning.
A new resource to help ESL tutors.