Outdoor Play in Winter
For more details on the benefits, read:
- Cold Weather Outdoor Play Boosts Immune System!
- Learning in the snow: How children develop through all-weather outdoor play
- The Importance of Outdoor Play in Winter
- Why our kids are going to play outside this winter, and yours should too, according to science
One concern about cold weather play is safety. For some guidelines on staying safe when playing outdoors in winter, read:
- 4 practical tips to keep kids warm and safe during winter play
- Staying safe for outdoor winter activities
- Outdoor play on winter days
- Safety Outdoors in the Cold for Toddlers
- Winter safety: Advice for parents and kids
There are lots of fun activities for children to do outdoors in winter. Looking for ideas?
- 7 winter outdoor play ideas for school-aged kids
- 18 Fun Winter Activities for Kids
- 50 Outdoor Things To Do With Your Kids In Winter
- Coloured Ice Cubes in the Snow – Outdoor Winter Activity for Preschoolers
- Easy outdoor winter activities for toddlers
- Outdoor Winter Activities for Kids
Some of these activities were recommended pre-COVID. You may need to wait to try them.
Related Blog Posts
Find ideas for crafts, books, games and STEM.
It’s important to keep children’s bodies and minds active while families are staying home. The Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for Children and Youth (ages 5-17 years) recommend a balance …
Reading bedtime stories is a cozy way to end to a child’s day. In addition to all the other benefits of reading aloud, reading stories at bedtime helps establish a …