Reading Resources Online
Are you teaching reading skills to adults at a distance? Would online access to reading materials at a variety of reading levels be helpful? Here are some of the places you can find reading selections that can be used with adults who are practising reading skills:
- CommonLit Library– free collection of fiction and nonfiction at 3rd-12th grade reading levels
- ESL Literacy Readers – from Bow Valley College
- News in Levels– each news story is written at three different levels; updated each week day
- Reading Skills for Healthcare Workers –readings on health topics; intermediate and above
- Reading Skills for Today’s Adults – Leveled library with multiple audio recordings for each story
- The Westcoast Reader– This year’s digital editions are free until further notice. Find accompanying teacher’s notes and additional articles with exercises on the website.
- Unite for Literacy– collection of easy to read, nonfiction picture books
How can reading levels be used appropriately in reading instruction? Reading Levels Unfairly Label Learners, Say Critics. And Then There’s the Research describes some of the current thinking.
Related Blog Posts
The First Peoples Principles of Learning are an expression of the shared wisdom of Elders and educators within British Columbia’s First Peoples communities. First identified in relation to the English …
Read how health literacy keeps us connected to our bodies, daily lives and long-term health.
Learn how writing letters can be effective literacy practice for students.