Reading Resources Online
Are you teaching reading skills to adults at a distance? Would online access to reading materials at a variety of reading levels be helpful? Here are some of the places you can find reading selections that can be used with adults who are practising reading skills:
- CommonLit Library– free collection of fiction and nonfiction at 3rd-12th grade reading levels
- ESL Literacy Readers – from Bow Valley College
- News in Levels– each news story is written at three different levels; updated each week day
- Reading Skills for Healthcare Workers –readings on health topics; intermediate and above
- Reading Skills for Today’s Adults – Leveled library with multiple audio recordings for each story
- The Westcoast Reader– This year’s digital editions are free until further notice. Find accompanying teacher’s notes and additional articles with exercises on the website.
- Unite for Literacy– collection of easy to read, nonfiction picture books
How can reading levels be used appropriately in reading instruction? Reading Levels Unfairly Label Learners, Say Critics. And Then There’s the Research describes some of the current thinking.
Related Blog Posts
Writing a poem doesn’t have to be difficult. List poems are an accessible form of poetry. List poems at their most basic are a list of words on a theme. …
Are you looking for free online reading resources for adults working on their reading skills? You can find great, made-in-BC content in the BC Reads: Adult Literacy Fundamental English series. …
Welcome back to our Back to Basics series! This week we are discussing the fluency strategy of echo reading.