Science Literacy Week 2021
This week is Science Literacy Week! The theme this year is climate. Canada has such a variety of different climates, many of which are experiencing change. Science Literacy Week encourages Canadians to learn about and explore Canada’s climates. We’ve gathered resources from our library you can borrow based on this year’s theme:
- Amazing earth
- Canada coast to coast
- Canada from Eh to Zed. Book two places
- Canada’s land & people series
- Canadian geographic regions series
- Climate change
Below we’ve listed the Science Literacy Week activities happening in British Columbia this year.
BC Science Literacy Week events
- All week (check times): Aldergrove Library Chemis-Tree!
- All week: Climate Book and AV Display
All week (check times): Science Literacy Week at Fort Langley Library
- All week: Science Take and Make Craft
- September 21 & 24: Science Discovery: Device Petting Zoo
- September 22 & 25: Minecraft Hour Of Code: AI for Good Preventing Forest Fires
- All week: Story Trail at the Surrey Nature Centre
- September 20: Science Literacy Week: Meet Eric Saczuk
- September 22: Guided Nature Walk
- September 22: Virtual Nature Walk (online)
- September 23: Science Literacy Week: Meet Glyn Williams-Jones
- September 23: Kids STEM Club (online)
- All week: Fire Followers
- All week: ReCollections
- All week: Science Comics Contest
- September 21: Roots of Change! – Climate Change Youth Workshop at David Thompson Secondary
- Also taking place on September 23 at Vancouver Technical Secondary.
- September 23: Wonders of the Wetlands Walk
- September 22: BMSC Live! Kelpisode – Exploring Kelp Ecosystems (online)
- September 25: Green Shores for Salmon (Sidney)
All week (check times): Take’n’Make Catapults
Many more events are happening online this year. Please note that some of these events are offered in other provinces. Please check the time zone before registering.
You can also celebrate by participating in National Science Reading Day on September 22 and entering the contest for classrooms and students!
Related Blog Posts
The theme for International Literacy Day 2021 is literacy for a human-centred recovery.
Join us every Wednesday in July and August, and learn about the Decoda staff’s summer reading picks.
Today is International Day of People with Disabilities, a global celebration of people with disabilities.