Sing Me a Story!
Picture books that are based on songs are a wonderful addition to reading together. They have built-in rhythm and rhyme. And, they may have the familiarity and repetition that children enjoy. Can you think of any read aloud books that are songs?
Find titles beyond Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and Wheels on the Bus in:
- 9 Toe-Tapping Picture Books Inspired by Popular Song Lyrics
- 15 Multicultural Children’s Books based on famous songs
- 40 of the Best Singalong Picture Books
- JoCoLibrary – Kids – Books Based on Songs
- Make Storytime Musical: 8 Singable Picture Books for the Vocally Shy
- Sing-Along Stories: 8 Delightful Picture Books Inspired by Children’s Songs
- Words and Music: Popular Songs Turned Children’s Books
Read about a family literacy project using song-based picture books in Together in Song: Building Literacy Relationships with Song-based Picture Books.
Related Blog Posts
Children often have favourite stories they can listen to again and again (and again!). And while adults might grow tired of the repetition, there are good reasons for reading stories …
A family dance party is a good way to involve the whole family in celebrating this year’s Family Literacy Week theme – Let’s Be Active!
What do you think are the hot topics in literacy? The International Literacy Association’s What’s Hot in Literacy 2020 Report provides a snapshot of what 1,443 literacy professionals from 65 …