Stories of Determination: Asian Heritage Month
Guest post by Natasha Loh.
It’s Asian Heritage Month in May! The theme this year is Stories of Determination. It’s a commemoration and celebration of the many stories of struggle and success for Asian Canadians. It’s also a call to all to address anti-Asian racism and discrimination that still prevails to this day.
This month take time to reflect on the voices of Asian Canadians through film, book or storytelling. Consider choosing a book by an Asian Canadian author the next time you’re at the library or select from one of the films featured on this month’s National Film Board of Canada’s list. Whichever way you choose to celebrate and reflect, consider your own heritage and the unique combination of migration, culture and family history that makes you uniquely you!
- The Canadian Encyclopedia: Asian Heritage In Canada
- Chinatown Storytelling Centre
- Government of Canada’s Asian Heritage Month
- National Film Board of Canada: Asian Heritage Month
- Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre
- Vancouver Island Regional Library: Asian Heritage Month
- Vancouver Island Regional Library: Asian Heritage Month: Canadian Picture Books
- Virtual Museum of Asian Canadian Cultural heritage
Feeling crunched for time but still want to partake before the end of the month? Try one of these picture books that, despite their size, pack a mighty message for old and young alike.
Related Blog Posts
Join us every Wednesday in July and August and learn about the Decoda staff’s summer reading picks
Discover how place-based learning can help students understand, appreciate and care for their community.
Join us for our final Decoda staff summer reading picks of 2023!