Using Graphic Novels
Are graphic novels useful for teaching? This video explains why graphic novels work.
Raising a Reader! How Comics & Graphic Novels Can Help Your Kids Love to Read! is written for parents and educators. It describes the value of graphic novels for all children. It answers questions such as: What skills do graphic novels offer kids? How do you teach with comics? How do comics promote a love of reading? How do you read aloud a graphic novel?
Learn more about graphic novels in:
- Build Empathy and Understanding by Pairing Comics With Novels – from Edutopia
- Good Comics for Kids – a blog from School Library Journal
- Graphic Novels for Kids: Classroom Ideas, Booklists and More – from Reading Rockets
- Graphic Novels in the Classroom: A Teacher Roundtable – from Cult of Pedagogy
- Meryl Jaffe – free lesson plans, book recommendations and support
Looking for more graphic novel recommendations for children? Browse the 2019 ALSC Graphic Novels Reading Lists and the Best Graphic Novels 2019 from School Library Journal for suggestions starting from kindergarten..
For even more, borrow Worth a Thousand Words: Using Graphic Novels to Teach Visual and Verbal Literacy from the Decoda Library.
Related Blog Posts
Learn about grief in children and get tips to help them cope.
Active play outdoors – and its risks – are important for healthy child development. What is risky play? What are the benefits?
There are lots of opportunities for indoor active play!