Beat Writer’s Block With Writing Prompts
Adult learners at the beginning of their writing journey may struggle getting started. What should they write about? Facing a blank page or screen can be intimidating for even an experienced writer. Writing prompts can help learners get over that initial hurdle and beat writer’s block. Paired with other pre-writing activities, writing prompts help give emerging writers creative ideas and guidance. We all know that the more the learner writes, the easier the process becomes. Fun and creative writing prompts can inspire daily writing practice. Writing prompts can also force a learner outside of their comfort zone by having them write about topics they don’t usually write about. Writing about different subjects will help develop a student’s vocabulary.
A good writing prompt will introduce the topic as well as provide direction and instructions for the task. The prompt will have two elements:
- a situation that introduces the general topic
- directions that describe the task and encourage the student to share their thoughts and experiences
Did you know that images, photo stories and videos can also be writing prompts? Journaling is a great writing practice activity that can also incorporate writing prompts to go beyond day to day activities.
Check out the resources below for lists of writing prompts, how to create your own prompts, and more!
- Daily Teaching Tools: Journal Writing Prompts (adaptable for adults)
- Developing Writing Prompts
- Writing Bugs
- Writing Lesson Idea: Keeping a Journal
- Writing Prompts
- Creative lifewriting : a guidebook for exploring personal memories and family stories
- Language is served : games, writing prompts, and other language arts activities on the yummy topic of food
- Leap write in! : adventures in creative writing to s-t-r-e-t-c-h & surprise your one-of-a-kind mind
- Unjournaling : daily writing exercises that are not personal, not introspective, not boring
- Write what you see : 99 photos to inspire writing
- Writing out loud
For more resources to help teach adults writing skills, contact the library.
Related Blog Posts
Kangaroo words contain a synonym within them, with the letters in the right order.
Find reader-friendly news articles to help strengthen reading skills in adults.
Do your students keep their cameras on during online classes? There are benefits to having cameras on, but there are good reasons to adopt a camera optional policy. To learn …