Family Literacy Week
Each January, families, schools, libraries and communities across BC celebrate Family Literacy Week.
It’s about families learning together through daily activities.
Across Canada, we celebrate ABC Life Literacy Canada’s Family Literacy Day on January 27th.
In BC, we celebrate Family Literacy Week January 21st – 28th, 2024. #FLW2024
This year’s theme for Family Literacy Day and Family Literacy Week is “Let’s have a family party!”
What can be more fun than planning, creating and getting ready for a party? Literacy activities are part of a party. Children can have fun and learn at the same time.
- Decoda provides themed resources every year to help you plan your events and activities.
- We also hold an annual Family Literacy Week photo contest open to all BC residents for a chance to win prizes.
What is family literacy?
“Family literacy refers to the way parents, children, and extended family member use literacy at home and in the community. Family literacy occurs naturally during the routines of daily living and helps children and adults get things done.” – Hayden, R. & Sanders, M. (2007).
Check out our FREE 2024 Family Literacy Week resources.
Find activity sheets, fact sheets, and great ideas to help your family or community celebrate Family Literacy Week!
Check out our collection of past Family Literacy Week resources.
- Take a photo with the “Let’s have a family party!” theme
- Submit it to email@example.com or post on social media
- Use hashtag #FLW2024Contest
- One individual prize of a Family Literacy Gift Pack
- One class prize of $100 Indigo gift card
January 28, 2024
Have your community’s Family Literacy Week events featured on our Community Events page!
To submit your event, please complete the form and once approved, it will be featured on the page.
Promote Family Literacy Week in your community with a media release and social media resources.
- Customize the Family Literacy Week media kit with your community event information.
- Download Family Literacy Week social media banners, post images and key messages.
For more information on Family Literacy Week contact Maureen Kehler at firstname.lastname@example.org.