Literacy Connects Us at Work: Digital Literacy
September is Literacy Month and this year the theme is literacy connects us! Digital literacy skills in the workplace have long since moved away from the role of the IT department alone. In a modern workplace, digital skills are now a necessity. With thousands of jobs changing with digital technology, it is vital that employers and trainers include digital literacy in both professional and literacy training. The COVID-19 pandemic has pushed the issue to the forefront and has created a sense of urgency. Digital skills have also been identified in the new Skills for Success model developed by the federal government.
How do organizations implement a digital literacy training program that endures? Technology changes every day, however there are foundational skills that will help employees evolve with the technological changes, rather than feel left behind. The Skills for Success model identified six components of digital literacy to guide training and assessment:
- Use digital devices including computers, tablets, smart phones, and other handheld devices
- Use common digital tools to complete tasks
- Use digital information
- Use online tools and platforms
- Apply safe and responsible practices online
- Update and upgrade digital skills
Each component is broken down further on the website. The website also offers a selection of assessment and training tools. Expect the digital skill component of the Skills for Success model to be expanded upon in the coming years. In the meantime, we have gathered some more resources for both learning and teaching digital literacy in the workplace.
- Alpha Plus’ Use Digital Technology packages
- Computer Comfort program – Free for qualifying individuals.
- The Digital Workplace Skills Framework: Ensuring the workforce is ready to work digitally
- Information Technology (IT) adult learner digital badge
- Tech Manitoba’s Computer Basics 101 – This YouTube playlist was created for a specific program, however the Windows-based videos are easy to follow along for a beginner.
- Workplace Digital Skills online training program
Blog posts for even more digital literacy resources
- Digital Literacy 101
- Digital Literacy Learning at Home
- Digital Literacy Matters – More Than Ever!
- For the Online Digital Literacy Tutor’s Toolkit
Related Blog Posts
The Game Changers curriculum helps young people develop workplace soft skills.
Do you have adult students curious about self-employment? They might find the stories in the Working for Myself series interesting.
Looking for free resources you can use with adult students developing workforce skills? Employment Resources Guide: Popular Resources for Learners with Employment Goals is a new publication from Community Literacy …